Sunday, March 30, 2008

In Praise of the FDR Memorial

Given that it's cherry blossom season, more people than usual are probably milling around the FDR Memorial. It's by far my favorite monument/memorial. I have lots of good memories, from turning 18 (yes, that's where I was when the clock struck 12!) to sweet romantic dates to DC tours for friends and family. So I thought I'd note my 3 favorite FDR quotes from the memorial:

1) I have seen war. I have seen war on land and sea. I have seen blood running from the wounded...I have seen the dead in the mud. I have seen cities destroyed...I have seen children starving. I have seen the agony of mothers and wives. I hate war.

2) In these days of difficulty, we Americans everywhere must and shall choose the path of social justice...the path of faith, the path of hope, and the path of love toward our fellow man.

3) Freedom of speech
Freedom of worship
Freedom from want
Freedom from fear

No comments: