Monday, March 23, 2009

Favorite Courses Thread

I thought we could start a discussion about favorite classes offered in the Trachtenberg School of Public Policy and Public Administration. I kinda don't have the best exposure to the program's offerings—as a joint degree student, I don't really get any electives. But that doesn't mean I haven't had some great classes! Here's my favorite...

I enjoyed ECON 222 Cost-Benefit Analysis. I think Professor Cellini is the reason I liked the course so much. I'm not an economics person by any means, and Professor Cellini was very responsive to the different level of needs among different students. She often had after hours class sessions for those of us who needed further explanation of concepts or help navagating Microsoft Excel. And her office hours were always helpful. The main project for the semester, a cost-benefit analysis (go figure), was a beast. But I credit the project with helping me to really, REALLY understand many of the economic concepts I learned in the class and previous courses.

What's yours?

4 comments:

Ashley said...

This was also my favorite class! Professor Cellini is awesome. I do have an economics background, and that really helped me to understand the concepts. While I dont think an econ major is essential to a students' success in the course, those with no econ background seemed to have more difficulty.

LinneaL said...

I think my favorite was one of the one time MPA classes offered over the summer on the topic of state level Medicaid reform. The professor works full time at the NCI and had been heavily involved in Clinton era reform efforts. GW does a really good job and bringing in faculty that have real experience with a topic.

Lisa said...

You know, I've thought long and hard, and I think my favorite class was Policy Analysis with Howard Smith. Besides turning me on to Death Race 2000, the best B-movie of all time, he covered dry material in a light and funny way (even if I was the only one who laughed) and really boosted my confidence that I, the stinky thru-hiker with the film degree, was qualified to be an MPA. It's really a shame he moved down to Florida, because he was a great professor.

PlasticFreeForMe,please! said...

I really loved Public Budgeting, Revenue & Expenditure with Phil Joyce. His dry humor kept the class lively, and I can honestly say I learned a lot of very practical concepts of budgeting.